When a home is damaged by smoke, it can be devastating. The unexpected can happen in a matter of seconds, and the effects of smoke damage on the contents of a property can be far-reaching. Smoke damage affects furniture and upholstery, carpets, drapes, clothing, electronics, and other items in the home. Deciding what to and what to throw away can be a difficult task.
Fortunately, you have come to the right place. If you have recently experienced smoke damage in your home and want to know how to assess what to keep and toss, this article is for you. Here we will look at the steps you can take to determine whether your items should be kept or thrown away.
The Top 7 Items You Should Never Keep After Smoke Damage
- Food stored in the fridge: If your appliance goes above 4°C (it happens most of the time if the power goes off), all food should be thrown away.
- Food outside the fridge: If it was open, exposed, or even stored in a glass jar, the heat from the fire compromised its safety and should be discarded.
- Medicines: Medications can become contaminated with smoke, leading to potentially dangerous side effects if ingested. It is best to get rid of them immediately.
- Cosmetics & personal care products: Due to the potential for contamination, it is safest to discard cosmetics and other products used on the skin, including makeup, lotions, and creams.
- Clothing: All clothing items exposed to smoke should be tossed out immediately. The toxins from the smoke may cause allergic reactions or other medical issues if worn again.
- Electronics: Electronics exposed to smoke can contain harmful toxins that can be difficult to remove. It is safest to replace these items with new ones.
- Furniture: Wood furniture may look fine on the surface, but it could contain hidden toxins that are difficult to get rid of. If there is any doubt about keeping this type of furniture, it is best to throw it away.
Who To Call After A Fire Incident?
When a home is damaged by smoke, it is important to call professionals who can help you assess the damage and determine what needs to be kept and what needs to be discarded. Experienced fire remediation specialists are trained in assessing smoke damage and can offer invaluable advice on how best to restore your home or business. If you have recently experienced smoke damage, contact a local fire remediation expert for help.
That is an overview of the steps to determine what to keep and what to throw away after smoke damage. After a serious incident like this, it is important to rely on professionals for guidance in restoring your property.
Get Professional Assistance From A Reputable Fire Damage Cleanup Company
Dealing with fire damage is a traumatic and devastating experience. In such circumstances, you feel vulnerable, and all you want is someone who understands your situation and helps you on the way to recovery. That’s where RESTORx of Washington can help. We’re a reputable fire damage restoration company that offers convenient services at competitive prices.
We understand how delicate and complex fire damage repairs can be, so we aim to provide the efficient solutions and reliable services you deserve. With us, you won’t have to worry about your property getting more damaged or spend time researching who to hire for the job. Our experts are experienced and well-equipped with the knowledge and tools to handle fire damage repairs. Call us now, and let us take the stress out of dealing with smoke damage.